Thursday, August 9, 2007

Chiso Sushi in Fremont Seattle



My favorite coffee shop in Seattle is quite a trek for me but I don't mind so much when there are other great reasons to be in Fremont, such as this wonderful sushi restaurant.

Chiso has great atmosphere and a knowledgeable and friendly staff, at least my server was top notch and the others seemed to be doing a great job as well. I chose to try some non-sushi dishes this time out. I started with ankimo, which is a pate of monk fish liver. The smooth, rich, and subtle pate was served on top of seaweed with ponzu, a bright, vinegary tasting citrus dressing. The ponzu was a great addition to the pate, some of which, the gray parts, were a bit dry and tasting of canned tuna; the pate was a mix of pink and gray, the pink being more rich and addictive in flavor. I would order this over and over again, nearly a perfect dish, they even added a touch of spicy minced tuna as a garnish, just fabulous, and the dry, chilled sake my server recommended was an excellent accompaniment.

Next I sampled the hamachi kama, Yellowtail collar, a grilled fish dish I love for its tender, mild flesh. I was expecting to order rolls after this but the hamachi was very large and my appetite sated. I should have ordered a side of rice as this was a lot of protein for one person to consume but it all tasted great! I'll be going back soon to try their sushi offerings.

3 comments:

Willie Baronet said...

Damn, now I'm hungry for some sushi!

Auntie Heather said...

Hey, this has nothing to do with your blog, but with mine. I wanted to say thank you for your comment on my blog the other day. It is always nice to hear that other people care about people that they don't even know. Thank you for that. Good luck to you with being an artist and a chef. :)

get zapped said...

Oh, I'm happy you discovered Chiso, it's a fav of mine and meant to tell you about it, but fate took you there ;) Hope you're enjoying your new town and this fine weather!